On April 6, 2013 the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools placed Pima Community College on probation.
The HLC is one of several regional and national organizations that accredit institutions of higher education such as PCC.
The College remains fully accredited while on probation.
Accreditation is an important indication for current students, prospective students and the community that a college is operating acceptably. In placing PCC on probation, the HLC is indicating to the public that PCC is not in compliance with one or more of the commission’s Criteria for Accreditation, and must demonstrate that it has remedied the problems that led to the sanction.
In an Action Letter dated April 16, HLC President Sylvia Manning informed PCC Interim Chancellor Zelema Harris of the change in PCC’s status, identified areas of non-compliance and described the steps PCC must take to be removed from probation.
In a message informing the College community of the HLC’s action, Interim Chancellor Harris said, “We can use this opportunity to improve services to our students and the community,” and “I believe that we can successfully restore the HLC’s and the public’s trust in the College.”
Contact information for the HLC:
Pima Community College can be contacted at (520) 206-4500 or at 4905 E Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85709.
Higher Learning Commission notification of status
- Action letter on Pima County Community College District (April 16, 2013)
- Public Disclosure Notice on Pima County Community College District (April 16, 2013)
Recent activity with the Higher Learning Commission
- June 2012: Higher Learning Commission letter to PCC (scanned image) [accessible PDF]
- July 2012: PCC letter to Higher Learning Commission (scanned image)
- Nov. 2012: Higher Learning Commission letter to PCC
- Dec. 2012: Provost's message to student on upcoming visit (scanned image) [accessible PDF]
- Jan. 2013: Representatives from the Commission will visit PCC Jan. 17 and 18, 2013
- Commission memo to PCC employees and the community [PDF]
- Commission fact-finding visit agenda [PDF] [also available in MS Word]
- Jan. 2013: The Commission completed its fact-finding visit. The College should receive feedback on the visit within 4-6 weeks.
- March 2013:
- Response to Higher Learning Commission: PCC Corrective Action Plan (March 29, 2013)
- Letters from employee groups to the HLC regarding accreditation: Faculty | ACES (April 4, 2013)
Read the Accreditation FAQ to learn more about accreditation and the HLC sanctions that may be applied to colleges and universities.
Assurances from Arizona universities
Read letters from Arizona universities regarding continued support for existing transfer policies and procedures:
- University of Arizona (accessible version)
- Arizona State University
- Northern Arizona University letter (accessible version)
Correspondence to PCC students
Read messages from the Provost to PCC students concerning recent activity with HLC. They were sent via email and/or MyPima College-wide announcement.