PCC Addresses Probation
On April 6, 2013 PCC's accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), placed the College on probation due to several concerns identified in their Action Letter to the College. While on probation, the College remains fully accredited. An Accreditation FAQ provides information on probation. Pima is committed to addressing all concerns of our accrediting agency, and in the process improving and strengthening the College.
Ongoing Changes at PCC
Since submitting the 2014 Self-Study Report, PCC is continuing to make positive changes to meet the needs of our students and community. Examples are included in the Ongoing Changes at PCC reports listed below. In addition, new evidence continues to be added to our Resource Room.
February 4, 2015: The College submits a Response to the Institutional Actions Council Hearing Report.
January 26, 2015: Chancellor Lambert announces that the College has received a report concerning the HLC Institutional Action Council's decision. The Council concurs with the HLC site-evaluation team's recommendation that the probation sanction be lifted.
- Chancellor's message to employees
- HLC Institutional Actions Council report
- Letter from HLC president accompanying the HLC report
January 8-9, 2015: The College submits an Institutional Response to the Site Visit to the HLC on Jan. 8. On January 9, Chancellor Lambert sends an accreditation update to employees. Chancellor Lambert and a team of administrators are scheduled to represent Pima when the Institutional Actions Council Hearing Committee of the Higher Learning Commission meets January 13 in Chicago.
December 16, 2014: Chancellor Lambert receives the final report from the HLC resulting from the 2014 site visit.
- Final Report of a Comprehensive Evaluation Visit Sept. 2014
- HLC letter to PCC concerning the Final Report
- PCC Correction of Errors of Fact for Draft Report Dec. 8, 2014 [accessible version]
- Draft Report of Comprehensive Evaluation Visit Sept. 2014 (received Nov. 2014)
December 9, 2014: In an end-of-semester message to students and employees, Chancellor Lambert provides background on the probation review process and information on the path forward.
November 24, 2014: Provost Holmes sends an email to PCC students titled HLC Draft Report and Spring registration.
November 21, 2014: Chancellor Lambert sends an email to PCC employees concerning receipt of the draft HLC report.
September 29, 2014: To further strengthen Pima's compliance with HLC Criteria and Assumed Practices, several Fast Action Teams began work in September 2014 to review processes and procedures in several specific areas.
September 18, 2014: Chancellor Lambert sends an email to PCC employees following the HLC site evaluation visit.
September 15-17, 2014: The HLC peer-reviewers visit PCC and conduct a site visit. They conducted meetings with employees, students and community members concerning our compliance with HLC standards. Learn more about the site visit.
September 12, 2014: In a message to students distributed by email and by a MyPima Campus-wide announcement, Provost Erica Holmes invites student to attend student open forums and provides a forum schedule.
Key Actions Identified by the HLC
The HLC identified specific problems as well as activities that the College must undertake to show that we are addressing concerns. Complete details are provided in the Action Letter received from the HLC. Some of the key actions include:
- a monitoring report filed no later than August 1, 2013, outlining Pima's plan to conform with HLC practices relating to complaints and grievance procedures, and to faculty oversight of curriculum.
- a comprehensive self-study report by July 2014, or eight weeks before the HLC’s comprehensive evaluation visit. The self-study must provide evidence that PCC has resolved the concerns of the HLC and meets the HLC’s Criteria for Accreditation.
- a comprehensive site visit by an HLC evaluation team in Fall 2014. In February 2015, the HLC Board will meet to determine whether the College can be removed from probation.
Questions? Send email to Accred-Questions@pima.edu