Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Maximizing Your Award

When applying for financial aid, you want to get the most free money possible and for as long as you can.  Here are a couple tips: 

  1. Complete your FAFSA before the Priority deadline of April 1st to increase your chances of being awarded some of the limited federal and state grant funds.
  2. Be sure to check your MyPima account regularly and read all emails and messages from our office.
  3. If you (or your parents if dependent) income is now less than what you entered on your FAFSA and your EFC is currently greater than zero, you should let the Financial Aid Office know by submitting a Request for Income Reassessment. This may allow us to award or increase your Pell grant or Stafford Subsidized loan.
  4. Take classes that are required for your degree.  You can receive the Pell grant for no more than 12 full-time semesters or roughly 6 years (600% Pell Lifetime Eligibility).  Avoid using these funds on courses you don't need to graduate.
  5. Only borrow the amount of student loan that you absolutely need!  You will be happy you did during your 10 years of student loan repayment. Visit our Money Matters page for budgeting tips.
  6. Speaking of student loans, remember the 150% Subsidized Usage Limitation rule.  Subsidized loan eligibility is now limited to 150% of the published length of a program. This means that your eligibility for – and benefits from – subsidized loans end when you borrow subsidized loans for 150% or more of the time needed to complete your program of study. This is another reminder to not take unnecessary classes.
  7. Make sure academic advisors know what your ultimate goal is. If you plan to transfer to UA and work on a bachelor's degree, make sure you are taking classes that will transfer and apply toward that degree.
  8. Enrollment changes can also affect your financial aid eligibility. If you plan to decrease your enrollment at any time during a term for which you have received a financial aid payment, we highly recommend that you contact a campus student services center to discuss how this will affect your aid.  You may have to pay aid back if:
    1. you decrease your credit level below the number of hours that you were funded to attend,
    2. you receive a combination of all failing or withdrawn grades for a term,
    3. your instructor assigns you a grade of W or I prior to the end of the term,
    4. You fail to attend a class
  9. Lastly, dropping courses, withdrawing, receiving incomplete grades, changing majors, and failing courses all have a negative impact on your aid eligibility.  Review the Satisfactory Academic Progress section for more information.